Issue #21998 has been updated by tompng (tomoya ishida). Proc's source in the code below consists of 3 parts. `do`, `inside\n<<B; end`, and `exclave\nB`. ```ruby <<A; tap do outside injected A inside <<B; end; outside exclave B ``` Even if heredocs are used, I think `do` is the start position and `end` is the end position. Source ranges may have several segments and may have exclave part that exceeds end position. Some code outside of proc may be injected into `start_pos...end_pos` with heredocs. Injected part may contain any characters(parentheses, keywords, operators, etc) that prevents analyzing source string as a code. By the way, IRB's show-source is not working well with the code above because IRB just simply finds syntax-valid `lines[start_line..start_line+i]` lines. It's impossible to correctly implement show-source only from `start_line` for code like this: ```ruby def f; end; def f; def f end end ``` ---------------------------------------- Feature #21998: Add {Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/21998#change-117135 * Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze) * Status: Open ---------------------------------------- I'm using matz's suggestion almost as-is from https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6012#note-53. The only change is the proposed class name. ## Use Cases Use cases have been discussed extensively and matz said:
The use cases are real and I want to support them
So I think we don't need to discuss that anymore :) ## Background Adding column and last line information to `#source_location` is deemed too incompatible given the usages of `obj.source_location.last` which expect the start line (they would get the end column instead). ## Proposal So instead we add a new method, `{Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range`, which returns a `Ruby::SourceRange` and has these methods: * `start_line`: 1-indexed (same as `source_location.first`) * `end_line`: 1-indexed * `start_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `start_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `end_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `end_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `inspect` which shows something like `#<Ruby::SourceRange (1,0)-(2,10)>`. For the edge case of a heredoc spanning further than the end of a method/block, we would not include it in the `end_line` & `end_column` methods, but instead document it and provide a small code snippet in the docs to compute that if desired with Prism. ## Alternative An alternative could be a `Ruby::SourceLocation` class and `obj.source_location(object: true)`/`obj.source_location(extended: true)` but it feels less nice. Since we are designing something new I think it's best to go for the cleanest design. ## Consistency The above methods match the name of methods on `Prism::Node` and have the same semantics, which is good for consistency and to avoid confusion. ## Scope The scope is intentionally minimal to keep the discussion focused. ## Implementation I'm happy to implement this, it should be pretty trivial and very similar to the extended `source_location`. I would prefer to get an approval for this feature before implementing. -- https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/