Issue #21795 has been updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze). From our discussion with @mame and @matz at RubyKaigi in Hakodate, I recall Matz said if we add `#ast`/`#syntax_tree` and that returns a `Prism::Node`, then `prism` should define that method. And given we already have `Prism.find`, that seems redundant. It would also be surprising if that new method is only defined if Prism has been require-d before. So I think the solution here is `Thread::Backtrace::Location#source_range`: #22212. It solves all issues mentioned in my previous comment (returning two kinds of nodes, using the wrong parser version, etc). It makes `Prism.find` always find the correct node, without coupling the core library to Prism (a default gem), or requiring `node_id`. Additionally I understand we typically want to avoid needing to `require` from core methods.
might also want to return the root node,
I have thought about this too and I think having a way for `Prism.find` to also return the root node is a good way (or a separate method). Regarding validating a source hash, we could do that too in #22212 if desired. ---------------------------------------- Feature #21795: Methods for retrieving ASTs https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/21795#change-118224 * Author: kddnewton (Kevin Newton) * Status: Open ---------------------------------------- I would like to propose a handful of methods for retrieving ASTs from various objects that correspond to locations in code. This includes: * Proc#ast * Method#ast * UnboundMethod#ast * Thread::Backtrace::Location#ast * TracePoint#ast (on call/return events) The purpose of this is to make tooling easier to write and maintain. Specifically, this would be able to be used in irb, power_assert, error_highlight, and various other tools both in core and not that make use of source code. There have been many previous discussions of retrieving node_id, source_location, source, etc. All of these use cases are covered by returning the AST for some entity. In this case node_id becomes an implementation detail, invisible to the user. Source location can be derived from the information on the AST itself. Similarly, source can be derived from the AST. Internally, I do not think we have to store any more information than we already do (since we have node_id for the first four of these, it becomes rather trivial). For TracePoint we can have a larger discussion about it, but I think it should not be too much work. In terms of implementation, the only caveat I would put is that if the ISEQ were compiled through the old parser/compiler, this should return `nil`, as the node ids do not match up and we do not want to further propagate the RubyVM::AST API. The reason I am opening up this ticket with 5 different methods requested in it is to get approval first for the direction, then I can open individual tickets or just PRs for each method. I believe this feature would ease the maintenance burden of many core libraries, and unify otherwise disparate efforts to achieve the same thing. -- https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/