Issue #21998 has been updated by headius (Charles Nutter).
The only choice for Prism.find there is to return the ForNode
`for` syntax does not parse as a ForNode without the block, so the two are not separable. Calls do parse without the block and remain CallNode. A block is an argument to a call. Therefore the block and the call are separate constructs that should have separate ranges. Why include the CallNode range in the block's range but not in the range of other arguments? It is even less bound to the syntax of the call than the arguments are. It seems arbitrary to include the call's range in the block when it is not included in the range of any other argument or in the range of the call's receiver expression. ---------------------------------------- Feature #21998: Add {Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/21998#change-117133 * Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze) * Status: Open ---------------------------------------- I'm using matz's suggestion almost as-is from https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6012#note-53. The only change is the proposed class name. ## Use Cases Use cases have been discussed extensively and matz said:
The use cases are real and I want to support them
So I think we don't need to discuss that anymore :) ## Background Adding column and last line information to `#source_location` is deemed too incompatible given the usages of `obj.source_location.last` which expect the start line (they would get the end column instead). ## Proposal So instead we add a new method, `{Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range`, which returns a `Ruby::SourceRange` and has these methods: * `start_line`: 1-indexed (same as `source_location.first`) * `end_line`: 1-indexed * `start_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `start_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `end_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `end_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `inspect` which shows something like `#<Ruby::SourceRange (1,0)-(2,10)>`. For the edge case of a heredoc spanning further than the end of a method/block, we would not include it in the `end_line` & `end_column` methods, but instead document it and provide a small code snippet in the docs to compute that if desired with Prism. ## Alternative An alternative could be a `Ruby::SourceLocation` class and `obj.source_location(object: true)`/`obj.source_location(extended: true)` but it feels less nice. Since we are designing something new I think it's best to go for the cleanest design. ## Consistency The above methods match the name of methods on `Prism::Node` and have the same semantics, which is good for consistency and to avoid confusion. ## Scope The scope is intentionally minimal to keep the discussion focused. ## Implementation I'm happy to implement this, it should be pretty trivial and very similar to the extended `source_location`. I would prefer to get an approval for this feature before implementing. -- https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/