Issue #21998 has been updated by kddnewton (Kevin Newton). We should make sure start line respects the line passed into eval (not sure if that was implicit, but wanted to be sure to call it out). For the heredocs, I agree that they should be omitted. We made that decision early with Prism because of the following code just being super confusing: ```ruby define_method(:foo) { <<~FOO }; define_method(:bar) { <<~BAR } foo content FOO bar content BAR ``` The reality is in order to represent this in a way that even comes close we would need source range to not necessarily be contiguous. I think instead we should document the limitation, and explicitly call out that eval-ing or trusting that the source returned by the source range is not and never expected to be 1:1 with the original. ---------------------------------------- Feature #21998: Add {Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/21998#change-117117 * Author: Eregon (Benoit Daloze) * Status: Open ---------------------------------------- I'm using matz's suggestion almost as-is from https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6012#note-53. The only change is the proposed class name. ## Use Cases Use cases have been discussed extensively and matz said:
The use cases are real and I want to support them
So I think we don't need to discuss that anymore :) ## Background Adding column and last line information to `#source_location` is deemed too incompatible given the usages of `obj.source_location.last` which expect the start line (they would get the end column instead). ## Proposal So instead we add a new method, `{Method,UnboundMethod,Proc}#source_range`, which returns a `Ruby::SourceRange` and has these methods: * `start_line`: 1-indexed (same as `source_location.first`) * `end_line`: 1-indexed * `start_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `start_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `end_column`: in bytes, 0-indexed, I think `end_byte_column` could be good for extra clarity * `inspect` which shows something like `#<Ruby::SourceRange (1,0)-(2,10)>`. For the edge case of a heredoc spanning further than the end of a method/block, we would not include it in the `end_line` & `end_column` methods, but instead document it and provide a small code snippet in the docs to compute that if desired with Prism. ## Alternative An alternative could be a `Ruby::SourceLocation` class and `obj.source_location(object: true)`/`obj.source_location(extended: true)` but it feels less nice. Since we are designing something new I think it's best to go for the cleanest design. ## Consistency The above methods match the name of methods on `Prism::Node` and have the same semantics, which is good for consistency and to avoid confusion. ## Scope The scope is intentionally minimal to keep the discussion focused. ## Implementation I'm happy to implement this, it should be pretty trivial and very similar to the extended `source_location`. I would prefer to get an approval for this feature before implementing. -- https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/